Monday 6 October 2014

A Drabble From a Rabble - Eleven

 Today's theme is fear.

 I went through my list of prompts and picked one that conveniently comported with the theme of 'The Fall of the House of Usher', which I've recently read.

 Recently read, and did not understand.

 I'm clearly going to have to read it again with wine and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter soundtrack at some point, because all I got from it the first time was confused.

 So, on that note, allow me to present you with today's story.

Taphophobia


 It’s dark.

 Drip.

 It’s cold.

 Drip.

 And it’s wet.

 Drip.

 It’s getting wetter.

 Drip.

 Nneka’s gone to get help. She’ll be back with an army if she can get one, I know that.

 Drip.

 The water came up to my ankles before, it’s higher now.

 Drip.

 Crying’s not gonna help, you’ll make the water rise faster.

 Drip.

 “Ikenna!”

 Nneka’s voice.

 Drip.

 “I’ve got the fire service! They’re going to get you out!”

 “Son, can you move to the far wall for me?”

 I move.

 The rock that trapped me moves.

 Daylight.

 “There you go, I told you you’d be fine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment